The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion provides central leadership for education and advocacy as well as administers the compliance and mediation programs. The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion reflects the institution’s vision of social justice and the related values it embraces. The specific functions include:
- Providing leadership for a comprehensive education and awareness program throughout the campus community, using both formal and informal delivery methods to address the broad range of relevant issues;
- Assuring that the institution complies with all relevant federal and state laws, university policies, and requirements related to civil rights and affirmative action,
- Assuring that a professional mediation program effectively serves the campus community; and,
- Advocating throughout the institution and the state the vision andvalues for social justice.
Based on these functions, the following are identified as outcomes the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will specifically address and use as a basis for continual self-assessment of effectiveness:
- There will be broad involvement of the WVU campuses and their extended academic communities in identifying relevant issues and conducting programs to address them;
- The University will continue to evaluate, implement, and update as necessary its policies, procedures, and affirmative action plan, and monitor its progress toward meeting its goal of greater diversity within the University;
- A communication plan will be developed and utilized to consistently share and receive information from throughout the institution, stakeholders, the public, and the University’s many constituents;
- There will be an effective relationship between the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and the regional campuses to meet their needs related to all aspects of education, compliance, mediation, and advocacy;
- There will be effective use of technology and resources to collect and manage necessary data and records as well as to provide program services as appropriate;
- The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will effectively and efficiently make wise use of all resources; and,
- Every request for program support or administrative action will be acted on in a timely manner.