Complaints and Investigations
WVU is committed to the principle that no form of illegal discrimination or harassment will be tolerated. Complaints of illegal discrimination, harassment, on the basis of age, color, disability, ethnic origin, marital status, race, religious beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status will be addressed in an objective and timely manner.
Investigations will afford all parties with the right present relevant information. The confidentiality of all parties involved shall be strictly respected insofar as it does not interfere with the University’s obligations to investigate allegations of discrimination and to take corrective action.
When a discrimination complaint is filed, the following actions are taken:
1. Employee, Student or Job Applicant: Seeks information or advice or presents complaint to supervisor or his/her superior and/or AA/EO Office.
2. Supervisor, Dean, Vice President or Designee: Consults with the AA/EO Office before taking any action, but within five (5) working days after knowledge of the situation.
3. Supervisor, Dean, Vice President or Designee: Discusses situation with the alleged harasser and takes appropriate action.
4. AA/EO Office: Provides advice and/or guidance and/or discusses situation with alleged harasser and/or Dean, Vice President or Designee.
5. Employee, Student or Job Applicant: Files a formal complaint with the AA/EO Office within thirty (30) days of the objectionable behavior if informal procedures were not utilized or the situation remains unresolved.
6. AA/EO Office: Informs alleged harasser of the allegations and investigates complaint.
7. Alleged harasser: Responds to sexual harassment allegations.
8. AA/EO Office: Identifies appropriate solutions and/or disciplinary action and reports recommendations to person responsible for department in which harassment occurred, should cause to support the complaint be found.
9. AA/EO Office: Notifies the complainant of findings and of action taken to remedy the situation.
10. AA/EO Office: If the complaint cannot be sustained, informs all parties in writing and closes the case.