West Virginia University will be known for honoring the worth of every individual,
and sustaining an environment where all people are encouraged to achieve their
full potential. This vision encompasses the following:
- West Virginia University is committed to the inclusion of all socioeconomic groups, traditional and non-traditional students, volunteers, the extended academic community, and society;
- Every campus, college, and administrative unit will continually examine itself and identify ways of assuring that a comprehensive approach to achieving social justice is attained and sustained;
- West Virginia University will act affirmatively to assure equal opportunity in employment and in delivery of programs and offerings consistent with both federal and state civil rights laws and affirmative action guidelines;
- The essential elements of character – trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship – will transcend every element of the University;
- Students will be prepared with the principles of social justice competencies in order to function effectively in the global workplace;
- Faculty and staff will exemplify principles of social justice in fulfilling their responsibilities;
- No form of illegal discrimination or harassment will be tolerated;
- Complaints of illegal discrimination, harassment, and abuses of social justice principles will be addressed in an objective and timely manner; and,
- All people will be accountable for their actions.
The following core values establish the foundation for Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at West Virginia University:
- Every person has intrinsic worth and dignity.
- Respect for law is fundamental.
- Freedom from fear is universal.
- A climate of opportunity, mutual respect, and understanding engenders a feeling that the future should be shared by all community members.
- There is an absence of discrimination and harassment based on age, color, disability, ethnic origin, marital status, pregnancy, race, religious beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
- The rich diversity of people, their cultures, and the bonds that tie people together are appreciated and celebrated.