The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion exists because WVU is always striving to create the safe, diverse, welcoming community we all deserve.
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion seeks to provide university-wide education, support, accountability and leadership on issues relating to diversity to the campus and community. We engage in advocacy, policy development, consultation and evaluation to create a more inclusive campus community. Through our work, West Virginia University seeks to be a national leader in understanding and addressing oppression: societal inequalities that affect access for, achievement by and inclusion of marginalized people. We are committed to fostering a community that is safe and affirming for faculty, staff, students and campus visitors.
This work is actualized in a variety of ways, including:
- Establishing and consulting with Diversity Committees and Task Forces
- Hosting programming focused on both historical and contemporary issues of injustice
- Developing advocates through training, presentations and facilitated dialogues
- Educating about the prevention of sexual violence, power-based personal violence, and harassment
- Collaborating with others on campus to understand campus climate, track changes based on our interventions and develop more effective outreach
- Supporting campus and community partners in addressing diversity-related questions and challenges
- Providing resources to protect the civil rights of each individual